Sweet Potato Gnocchi

     Okay, so I'm a bit behind in the blogging due to the holidays, but I wanted to share with you some one of the great recipes from the December Savorfull box. In this month's box was a sample bag of Mrs. Glee's Performance Blend Flour. So we decided to use it to make Sweet Potato Gnocchi. The original recipe we used was on Savorfull's website, which is since been removed. I suggest trying this recipe on AllRecipes.com instead.

     So the first step was roasting the 2 lbs. of Sweet Potatoes. My husband simply put some slits in the potatoes and threw them in the oven whole. I think we roasted them at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour....just keep an eye on them.....I didn't realize until after they were roasted that there was a bad spot in one of them...which didn't turn out to be too much of a problem.

     After the potatoes cooled, I placed them in my blender to puree. In all honesty, that really didn't work, so I transferred them to my KitchenAid Mini food processor, and it worked like a charm. It  probably doesn't look like the most appetizing thing, but sweet potatoes are awesome!
     I used Xanthum Gum from Hodgson Mills, as they now come in handy small packages.

     The recipe calls for you to place the cooled sweet potatoes on a well floured surface and to add all the dry ingredients and mix by hand. My husband and I felt that the 1 and a half cups of flour wasn't quite enough, as the mixture was still sticking to his hands. We added more flour...can't tell you how much more, we just kind of experimented.
  
      Then you roll the dough into 3/4 inch snakes, cut them into 3/4 inch pieces, and then roll them down the back side of a fork to make the really cool grooves that you find in traditional gnocchi. Thanks Lidia Bostianich!


      We then froze them on a cookie sheet because it wouldn't be served until the next day at my aunt's. When it was time to cook them, I cooked them in straight chicken broth, without adding water to the liquids. I wasn't very exact on the cooking times. I just cooked them until I thought they were done. They tasted fantastic and my uncle even had seconds. They were a great complement to the roasted cornish game hens and wild rice stuffing that was the main feature of our Christmas dinner.


     I have to give a huge thanks to my husband. I cut myself trying to prepare dinner a few nights before, so he was literally my hands on this project. That being said, he said that he liked the recipe so much that he'd be willing to make it again, gooey-ness and all.



Labels: