Tofu Curry

So I tried the recipe for the Tofu Curry using the Kelapo Coconut Oil from the December Savorfull box. I was excited to try this, as I have never cooked with Coconut Oil before, not to mention that I haven't cooked with tofu often.

The  recipe called for 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, although there was only one in the box. In all honesty, only one tablespoon was needed to saute the onions and peppers. I had borrowed a few more tablespoons from a friend, and I added a little more, but that made the dish seem very oily. I was definitely fragrant though, and I enjoyed the smell while it was simmering.

I had never pressed tofu before, so I placed the block of tofu between two dinner plates and stacked ceramic cereal bowls on top. I was amazed at how much water came out.

I didn't have any Pacific Vegetable broth on hand, so I used my Better Than Bouillon Vegetable base. I discovered it was gluten free by looking it up in Cecelia's Marketplace grocery guide They come in vegetarian, organic, kosher, and reduced sodium bases, although you won't likely find all of them in your local store. :( 1 tsp. is the equivalent to one bouillon cube. Once opened you keep it in your refrigerator. 

I followed the rest of the recipe as written, even using the almond milk and Mrs. Glee's flour. Due to the fact that I used less oil than it called for, the sauce was very thick with the 2 tablespoons of flour mixed with broth, so I added more water to thin it down. I served it over brown rice. It was good...it needed a little more salt for my taste, although we don't have sea salt in our house, only the table salt that I buy from Aldi. I do know that Sea Salt adds a deeper flavor....

All in all, not a bad recipe. It reminded me vaguely of the paella recipe that I often make. My husband says that he would eat it again. I'm not sure that the coconut oil added a lot of flavor to the end product, so I would be curious to try it again with olive oil. Although I know that is has a lot of health properties, coconut oil is a saturated fat, which raises cholesterol, and I think it should been eaten sparingly.

Labels: