Rudi's Gluten Free Tortillas


I was so excited when I saw the new Rudi's Gluten Free tortillas at a local Kroger a week ago. While following the Curves Complete plan, there are recipes using whole wheat tortillas, which I obviously can't use. One starch exchange for a whole wheat tortilla is 80 calories for half of a tortilla There are only 90 calories in a whole Rudi's tortilla, which means I get to eat two! The added bonus of buying the tortillas at Kroger is that I had a dollar coupon from the Rudi's website, which Kroger doubled! The other great thing about these tortillas is that they are made from a blend of 7 whole grains..first thing listed in the ingredient panel. They have 5 grams of fiber per tortilla, are low sodium and low fat. They're also dairy-free and nut-free.




So I purchased the spinach tortillas, since I've never had one before. [They have two other varieties.] Since they were in the freezer case, I put them in my own freezer at home, and only pulled out what I needed for dinner tonight. I warmed them gently in the microwave, although I think next time I will warm them on my iron skillet. They suggest heating them for 20-30 minutes.

I followed the recipe for the Bean Burritos from the Curves Complete website, with a few minor changes. Obviously, the first,  I used two Rudi's tortillas versus the one whole wheat tortilla. Since I didn't have any avocado at home, I substituted a wedge of Tomato and Basil Laughing Cow Cheese. Also, I don't by reduced fat cheese out of principle, and since it called for 2 oz. of lowfat cheddar, I simply only used 1 oz. of regular mild cheddar. I split all of the ingredients between the two tortillas and enjoyed them VERY much. My husband liked them as well, although he felt that the tomato and basil cheese didn't go well with the spinach tortillas.

Here's the original 400 calorie recipe from Curves Complete.

Ingredients:
1 tortilla- whole wheat- 8 oz.
1/4 c. black beans
1.5 oz. corn
1/4 medium tomato- diced
2 oz. reduced fat cheddar/fat free [100 calories]
2 tbsp. salsa
2 tbsp. mashed avocado

Directions:
1. Chop tomato
2. Heat black beans until warmed through.
3. Stuff tortilla with black beans, corn, tomato, and shredded cheese. Heat in the toaster oven or microwave until the cheese is melted.
4. Slice avocado and mash with a fork. Measure 2 Tbsp. of the mashed avocado.
5. Serve burrito with salsa and mashed avocado for dipping.
6. Tips:
2 oz = 1/2 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
1/8 whole = 2 tbsp avocado
1.5 oz = 1/4 cup corn
1/4 whole = 1/4 cup chopped tomato

Labels: ,