Gluten Free Enchiladas

It's pretty encouraging when your husband says..."You should take a picture of the dinner you just made and blog about it.."


So, I still have about 15 lbs. to reach my goal weight, so I'm back on target with the Curves Complete diet. One of their menu options is Black Bean Enchiladas. I've started boiling my own black beans from scratch, letting them dry in the colander, and then freezing them. This keeps an ample supply of black beans on hand, is cheaper than canned, and has no added sodium. This makes this recipe all the easier to prepare quickly.

So here's the recipe for two servings: (recently Curves Complete updated it's site so it will multiply the ingredients for more than one serving. A HUGE help, plus it puts the new quantities on your shopping list!)

Ingredients:
6 tortilla(s) - corn (I used Mission corn tortillas as it says gluten free right on the bag!)
1 cup(s) beans - black (cooked)
1/2 onion(s) - medium
1 oz spinach leaves - fresh
1 cup(s) salsa - tomatillo
4 oz cheese - mozzarella (light, grated)
4 tbsp(s) cream - sour (light)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Dice onion and sauté in a small pan over medium heat with spinach until onions are soft and spinach is wilted.

2. Fill corn tortillas with black beans and sautéed onions and spinach. Roll to enclose, and place in a casserole dish. Top with tomatillo salsa and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F until the cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream.

3. Tip: 2 oz. shredded part skim mozzarella cheese is 1/2 Cup.

Now, I did make a few adjustments. One, the zucchini crop has started to come in, so I'm finding creative ways to put zucchini in just about everything. So I sauteed the zucchini with some onions and peppers (because onions go in everything, right?) with a little chicken fat I had in the fridge. I know, the fat is outside of my calories, but it was just a smidge and I'm not going to freak out about it.

I used regular salsa instead of tomatillo salsa, because it's what I had in the refrigerator.  And I don't bother to buy sour cream anymore, as we always have Greek yogurt in the refrigerator.

These really were amazing enchiladas. It is key to warm the tortillas first before stuffing them, as it makes rolling them A LOT easier. I asked my husband if this was "a do over." in the sense of "Should i make them again?" He said definitely, yes. Served with cooked fresh green beans, this meal makes me say, "Ole!"

Labels: