Fluffy Cornbread with Bob's Red Mill products

I don't think there's any better fall dish than a warm bowl of chili. And nothing compliments chili better than a warm, fresh batch of cornbread.

Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease over a year ago, Bob's Red Mill products have been a staple in my house. They understand that providing a gluten free product means taking every precaution to prevent cross-contamination. All of their products that are made in their dedicated gluten free facility have a special logo so you know you can consume it safely. Because of this, I've started buying their gluten free Corn Polenta (and other products) from Big Lots frequently. I have concerns about the true gluten free status of regular corn meal, so I use my spice grinder to grind the polenta into cornmeal. 

As most gluten free foodies do, I found a recipe for cornbread and then substituted gluten free grains for the flours listed in the cookbook. I created a blend of of 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo (Chickpea) flour, 1/3 cup of Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice flour and 1/3 cup of Ener-G Potato Starch Flour. I tried this blend after using a recent garbanzo bean flour and cornstarch blend in a brownie recipe that turned out wonderful. 



The end result rose beautifully, was very fluffy, and my husband thought it was delicious. He said it might very well be the best tasting gluten free cornbread I've ever made. For my preference I would have liked a stronger corn flavor, so next time I might try roasting the polenta before grinding it, and I might substitute corn flour in place of the rice flour. 

Either way, you can't go wrong by using Bob's Red Mill products. 

Corn Bread recipe (adapted from Betty Crocker 
1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free Corn Polenta, ground fine into cornmeal
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo bean flour
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup Ener-G Potato Starch Flour (you can probably substitute corn starch if needed)
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp. baking powder (I use Clabber Girl, as it is marked gluten free) 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/4 softened butter
1 egg

Labels: