"The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free" by Beth Hillson

I remember what is was like when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I went to a dietitian, she handed me some papers about what I could and could not eat, and I never saw her again. No follow up, no suggestions on how to deal with it in social situations. While I was able to connect to a support group, I wish there had been a definitive book that I could have sat down and read that could walk me through everything, especially the things I wouldn't even begin to think of until years later. 

Image taken from Amazon.com

Beth Hillson has just written the book that every person eating a gluten free diet should have as their guide. This book is for those with Celiac Disease, Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity, Wheat Allergy, and those who are simply choosing to eliminate gluten free their diet for their own personal preferences.

The longer you live with Celiac Disease, try new products and interact with others with this disease, there are certain names that you begin to hear over and over, names that you can trust  as someone with expertise. With over 30 years of living with Celiac Disease, creating a gluten free mix line, advocating for Celiac Disease awareness in the political realm and working with one of the longest running gluten free magazines, Bath Hillson has more than earned my trust and respect.

She was kind enough to send me a copy of her book to read and share with my support group. While I honestly haven't had a chance to read it cover, the bits I've read have been so informative. Even after living with this disease for over a decade, her book is still teaching me things that I've overlooked or maybe didn't fully understand.

In this book Beth covers everything from medical diagnosis, how to find the best doctor and recipes to dining out, traveling and gluten in medication. She also writes about issues that we deal with but don't always talk about, like social issues, passing gas and even sex. I don't think I've ever read anything that's dealt with how to be intimate with someone who isn't gluten free and the precautions you may need to take.

And Beth has great humor. This book is not a clinical medical book that is a boring, dry read. You will find as you are reading this book that you'll be nodding your head, smiling, and probably even laughing out loud.

With Christmas coming up, this is a great book to buy for someone following a gluten free diet, someone caring for someone else who is living gluten free, or even to buy a copy for your local library. You can order it on Amazon in paperback or for Kindle.

Labels: