Chebe Thanksgiving Pasties

I think it's safe to say that the signature dish of Thanksgiving is stuffing. Turkey is great, cranberries are tasty, but good stuffing is the highlight of the meal.

So what if you made a "stuffing" pie crust, filled it with traditional Thanksgiving staples and baked it in the oven? You'd have a Thanksgiving pasty that you could eat on the go!

When Chebe sent me a case of products to play with this past fall, they included their focaccia mix and a few recipe cards. I looked over their recipe for stuffing and thought about how I could combine that with the idea of a pie crust to stuff it with Thanksgiving favorites. As the focaccia mix is loaded with herbs, all that was missing was the sage and thyme. I added about a tsp. of each, used 4 tbsp. frozen, grated butter like I did in the regular pie crust recipe, and chilled my dough. It weighed approximately 18 ounces, so I separated the dough into three sections.

As far as proportions for the filling, I followed a pasty recipe on Cooking Channel TV website. For those of you unfamiliar with pasties, it is a Michigan staple. A crust filled with meat and tasty bits, baked in the oven, and edible anywhere. It's traditionally filled with ground beef, rutabaga and potatoes- but for my creative recipe I focused on deli turkey, butternut squash, potatoes, cranberry goat cheese, and onions. And a bit of brie cheese for good measure.



I mixed all the ingredients in a bowl and stuffed each piece of dough with approximately 3/4 cup of ingredients. I didn't measure how many I had of each ingredient- sorry. I know I used 4 oz. of squash and cubed one small potato. I used about 2-3 oz of goat cheese. As far as red onion, I just used what I had left in the fridge. Probably a 1/2 of a red onion. 

And this is how it turned out. The smell from the oven was amazing. And since I made three, the hubby got to take one to school.  


It was a bit dry, which I think is because I used already cooked deli meat. (Plus I faield to brush the outside with beaten egg.) I definitely want to play around with this again, using raw dark turkey meat and more goat cheese. My husband's suggestion is to leave the potato out entirely and solely focus on the butternut squash. We did serve it with homemade applesauce, which was a great addition, like a fruit flavored gravy!

So what creative things have you made with Chebe products? Do you have something you'd like to see me create? Leave me a comment below and let me know how Chebe has impacted your baking.

Also, I'll be helping out at the Chebe table at the Gluten Free Food Allergy Fest in Columbus and the Gluten and Allergen Free Expo in Chicago. Stop by, say hi, and take advantage of some great Chebe deals!


Labels: