Sweet and Sour Corn Dogs



One of the foods I miss most is Chinese food. Living with Celiac Disease means that Kikkoman soy sauce is off limits (because it contains wheat) and Kikkoman seems to be the preferred soy sauce of most restaurants. (**Note- Kikkoman does make a gluten free soy sauce, but it is not often used in restaurants.)

So when Foster Farms challenged me to come up with a dipping sauce for their products made with humanely raised chicken, I immediately thought of sweet and sour chicken. Foster Farms makes three certified gluten free products - Corn Dogs, Chicken Nuggets and Chicken Strips. While the nuggets and strips are not available in Michigan (yet!), I thought it could be interesting and fun to try this with their corn dogs.  

So I searched the internet for sweet and sour sauce recipes. Some were easy, some were more involved, and I think one simply used orange food coloring. Um, no. I finally settled on a recipe that I found on the Serious Eats website. Only one small problem - my husband had just eaten the last of the pineapple so I had no pineapple juice. I didn't have any ketchup either. So I pulled a culinary MacGyver and substituted apple cider and tomato paste, and cut down the sugar a bit.
Amazingly, it seemed to work really well, and my husband really enjoyed it! Served over rice with some sauteed veggies it was a fun and interesting dinner!

gluten free Foster Farms corn dogs


Dipping Sauce
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp water
2/3 c. apple cider (NOT vinegar)
1/3 c. rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Thai Dipping Sauce

Adapted from Serious Eats
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/sweet-and-sour-sauce.html

** I was provided a box of Foster Farms Corn Dogs for creating this post**

Labels: