Daniela's Delectables

Photo courtesy of Daniela's Delectables
One of the great things about my #MichigansBestGF baker tour is finding out about new bakeries. Daniela's Delectables was a write-in on my voting list by people in the Traverse City area. As I worked on this project I realized just how blessed we are along I-96 to have many gluten-free bakeries. They're much harder to find in Northern Michigan.

That's exactly the reason that Daniela Weiner started her business. As people have a variety of taste and texture preferences, as well as other allergy requirements, it's a huge blessing to have more than one option for gluten-free baked goods in the same city. Learn more about Daniela's Delectables in Weiner's own words.

1. ​What​ inspired you to become a ​b​aker​?​ Why the focus on gluten-free?

I loved baking since I was a young girl and grew up baking with my grandma, where we lived in Austria. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease at an age of 14, I started experimenting with gluten-free baking. In 2009 I graduated from the Illinois Institute of Culinary Arts, which started  my career in working in several fine dining restaurants in the Midwest. After I realized how few gluten-free options were available in northern Michigan, I decided to start my own business in 2013. I do everything myself - from baking, packaging and selling the products, and have established a great following.

2. Are there other highlights of your products?  Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free etc?

I offer dairy-free and egg-free products during summer when there is a demand. I always have nut-free products available all year around. I do not use peanuts, as I am personally sensitive to them. I am also happy to take special orders any time.

Gluten-free & dairy-free pumpkin donuts
Photo courtesy of Daniela's Delectables
3. What steps do you take to insure that your products are truly gluten-free?

I bake out of the commercial kitchen at Chef Frank's Specialty Foods. While Chef Frank's bakes cinnamon rolls in the kitchen once a week, I have my own separate back room for my baking and prep.  I am not there when they bake nor do we share any equipment or ingredients. Since I have to eat gluten-free myself, I check every ingredient to insure it is certified gluten-free.

4 . Can you share a story of a customer who's been greatly impacted by your business?

One thing I hear very frequently from customers is that they love the fact that I have celiac myself and therefore I am very picky with my products. One customer during one of my summer markets fell in love with my Chocolate Chip Cookies. Now she buys them by the dozen for her daughters lunch box.

An assortment of Daniela's Delectables products
Photo courtesy of Daniela's Delectables
5. What would you like consumers to know about your products and your business?

My products are always fresh baked. I do not bake ahead and therefore do not sell products from the freezer. I also have an online shop and ship all over the US. I also offer a variety of treats such as toffee, chocolates, granola and small batches of jam made with local fruit.

Daniela's Delectables
5818 US - 31
Grawn Michigan 49637
(773) 678-1020
Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Hours vary

Daniela's Delectables does not currently have a storefront. Her products are sold at farmers markets in the Grand Traverse Area. Select items currently can be found at the following local stores - The Red Dresser and Edson Farms in Traverse City and Chef Frank's Specialty Foods in Grawn. Daniela is currently working on more wholesale accounts to expand her business in the area.

Daniela's Delectables is one of many gluten-free bakers across the state of Michigan. Make sure to follow along with my #MichigansBestGF Bakery Search and learn about over 20 gluten-free bakers in Michigan. Click this link to see a comprehensive list of all the gluten-free bakers in Michigan, as well as an interactive map! Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Periscope for pictures and live videos too! 

Labels: