Foxglove Cake Creations

Maeve cupcakes
Photo courtesy of Beth Postema

Beth Postema from Foxglove Cake Creations wants to make people's dreams come true. What started as a hobby for her children's birthday parties has turned into a home-baked business that's making many people happy. Her business name derives from her own dreams coming true, finally building the house she alwys wanted, in a subdivision called Foxglove.

Her real magic is in working with fondant, but she has a few more tricks up her sleeve. Picture above are her Maeve cupcakes. These dark chocolate ale cupcakes have a whiskey ganache filling, finished with an Irish Cream Buttercream frosting. With St. Patrick's Day right around the corner, these make an adult's dreams come true! Read more about Postema's hopes and dreams for her own business

Photo Credit: Beth Postema

1. ​What​ inspired you to become a ​b​aker​?​ Why the focus on gluten-free?
As my children have grown, they often asked for birthday cakes to be interesting. I began to experiment with fondant and make their little dreams come true. Often times guests at the parties would ask for a cake to be made for them. Social media introduced me to strangers asking for my "cakework." I had to oblige, because I loved the adventure of making a cake. 

I became a gluten-free baker out of necessity. In 2011, my health had deteriorated so much that I was unable to eat anything without severe reactions. I was diagnosed with allergies to egg and peanuts, along with a host of food intolerances including gluten. I was told to remove gluten from my diet for several weeks, then encouraged to try "gluten challenge" meals. I could never do this without getting sick and stop the challenges, fearful of the consequences. Late in 2011 my four year old son began exhibiting similar reactions and was removed from dairy and gluten. My daughter, who was 18 months old at the time, began to stop growing and gluten was subsequently removed from her diet as well. All three of us have had symptoms cease and are completely content following a gluten-free diet. 


2. Are there other highlights of your products?  Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free etc? 
Because of my allergy to egg and peanuts, I do not use those in most of my baking. I will only use these ingredients by request. I also have experimented with dairy-free baking, which allows me to offer vegan items as well. I even can make a Swiss meringue buttercream completely without eggs!  It's my absolute favorite way to enjoy buttercream, and is a perfect compliment to my dark chocolate cake.



Photo Credit:: Beth Postema

3. What steps do you take to insure that your products are truly gluten-free? 
I bake all of my gluten-free products in my kitchen, which is a dedicated gluten-free kitchen. No gluten is present in my kitchen. (I do periodically bake with wheat ingredients, but I do so in another baker's home, and with their equipment.) I've been encouraging most customers to just have me bake gluten-free for them, as I prefer my own recipes and equipment.


4  Can you share a story of a customer who's been greatly impacted by your business? 
I just began my business this January, but I have already had repeat customers. Some of my customers do not require gluten-free items, but buy my cakes regularly because they love them. Others are excited that they can finally get a customized birthday, wedding, or 
"just because" cake that wont cause them digestive issues!

Photo Credit: Beth Postema
5. What would you like consumers to know about your products and your business? 
I would like customers to know that because I am a one person show, I spend a lot of time preparing your cake. I love to take ideas from a customer and give them a cake that they would have only dreamed they could have. I love trying new things and devoting time and energy finding the right recipe and design for your cake. I also want to appeal to the many brides out there who are scared at their first meeting with a baker. I would love to help design you a cake within your budget. There are so many options- you don't have to settle for a brick and mortar store!

Foxglove Cake Creations does not have a storefront. All orders are custom-made in her home and are either picked up by customers or delivered by Beth. Like many other bakers, she dreams of opening her own storefront some day. When that day comes, MI Gluten Free Gal will be sure to tell you about it! You can reach Beth Postema through her Facebook page or by placing an order at (616) 566-4024.

Foxglove Cake Creations is one of many great, dedicated gluten-free bakeries across the state of Michigan. Make sure to follow along with my #MichigansBestGF Bakery Search and learn about over 20 gluten-free bakers in Michigan. Click this link to see a comprehensive list of all the bakers as well as an interactive map! Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Periscope for pictures and live videos too! 

Labels: