Gluten Free Rox

Photo Credit: Roxanne Andrews
The Lansing, Michigan area is blessed to have many gluten-free bakers in the vicinity.  Gluten Free Rox , owned by Roxanne Andrews, has been gaining followers in just her first few years of business. I was first introduced to her as a vendor at the Lansing Gluten Free Fair. Her booth was busy the whole time with people intrigued to learn more about her business. 


Learn more about Gluten Free Rox in Andrews' own words. 


1. What inspired you to become a baker? Why the focus on gluten-free?  

 I have people in my family with celiac disease and they didn't like what they were finding in stores. I am the family baker, especially at holidays. When my family couldn't eat my goodies, I started experimenting with gluten-free baking. I developed my own gluten-free flour mix so my food would be as close as possible, in taste and texture, to wheat baked goods. Many people tell me that they wouldn't have known my baked goods were gluten-free if I hadn't told them. I have a few customers who aren't gluten-free who buy my food anyway, because they love the taste.

2. Are there other highlights of your products? Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, etc?
I use organic and natural ingredients. I make everything from scratch, including all my organic pie fillings. I even make my own "graham" crackers for my cheesecakes. I use  organic butter,  cage-free eggs, and whole foods with no preservatives, I try to reduce sugar when I can and bake with almond milk. By using the best ingredients that I can, I think I have a delicious product that's also healthy. 

Photo Credit: Roxanne Andrews
3. What steps do you take to insure that your products are truly gluten-free?
I am a dedicated gluten free baker. I bake in Foods For Living's kitchen, which is not a dedicated gluten-free facility. I do the regular baking for Foods For Living on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I wait over 48 hours, baking my products on  Sundays and Monday,  after the store is closed. I thoroughly clean and sanitize all counter spaces. I use my own stand mixer and my own utensils to help prevent cross contamination. I bake everything from scratch and use only gluten-free and organic flours.

4. Do you have any stories of customers that highlight the impact of your business on heir life?
I have a few. One woman was so delighted because of the cake I made her. She told me she hadn't had one in 8 years! You can that and many more reviews on my Facebook page. 

Photo Credit: Roxanne Andrews
5. What would you like consumers to know about your products and your business?
I bake they way my grandma did- from scratch and with love. It is my desire to help others that motivates this family-run business. My children help with baking and selling at the markets, and my husband designs my labels and logo. We're all in this together.

Photo Credit:
Lansing Gluten Free Fair
Gluten-Free Rox does not have their own storefront. Her products can be purchased at many local farmer's markets, including Allen StreetBathHolt, and Meridian markets. Some items can be purchased at Foods For Living

Make sure to follow along with my #MichigansBestGF Bakery Search and learn about the over 20 gluten-free bakers in Michigan. Click this link to find a comprehensive statewide list of all the bakers, as well as an interactive map! Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Periscope for pictures and live videos too!


Labels: