Heavenly Cakeballs

Heavenly Cakeballs Wedding Cake
Photo Credit: Margaret Clegg
I'm always on the hunt for new gluten-free baked goodies, especially as vendor coordinator for the Lansing Gluten Free Fair. I'm usually good about knowing all the gluten-free businesses around Genesee County (where I live), but every once in a while one flies under the radar. So, I'll often open my Find Me Gluten Free app, just to see if a new business has been added lately. And that's exactly how I learned about Heavenly Cakeballs, nestled between Lapeer and the Oxford/Lake Orion area.

I made a call to Vonda Barclay, owner of Heavenly Cakeballs. I invited her to come to our Mid-Michigan Celiac Disease Support Group meeting to tell us more about her dedicated gluten-free bakery. In addition to giving us information, she gave us goodies! She brought an assortment of cupcakes and cakeballs that were all incredibly delicious. Not only were they delicious, but the decorations were amazing too! I've since gone in to her establishment, talked to her and her husband at length, and tried some more amazing products. Read more about Barclay's business in her own words:

Lemon, No Nut and Carrot Cake cupcakes
Photo Credit: Margaret Clegg
1. What inspired you to become a baker? Why the focus on gluten-free? 
As a six-year-old girl, I wanted an Easy Bake Oven.  Instead, Santa left me a gift-wrapped box of adult cake pans, spatulas, bowls and Jiffy Cake Mixes. It seems even he knew that I was destined to be a baker. As I grew, I spent many happy years baking for family and friends. and many others.
In December of 2011, I cam down with a terrible case of Vertigo and almost quit all baking. I lived in fear that I would ruin someone’s special day. In early 2014, my husband relayed a conversation he had with a close his. His friend’s wife also had vertigo, and her doctor suggested she try a gluten-free diet, and it appeared to help her symptoms. I decided to try it myself, and after two days of following the diet, I felt like a new person! No dizziness or light-headedness and even my breathing was easier. That same week we went out for Valentine’s Day and we ordered a regular pizza. Big mistake. The very next day I felt absolutely horrible! I was so dizzy that it took everything I had to deliver a cake that afternoon. Since then, I have taken the gluten-free diet more seriously, and stick to it daily. 

2. Are there other highlights of your products? Dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, etc?
On top of being a dedicated gluten-free facility, we are also completely peanut-free. We bake all natural and with as many local products as possible. We work with many different allergen needs and take special orders for dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free and other dietary issues. We believe that every person, no matter the situation, should have a place they can go to get fresh baked goods.


Pie case at Heavenly Cakeballs
Photo Credit: Margaret Clegg
3. What steps do you take to insure that your products are truly gluten-free?
We are in a newly constructed building and commercial kitchen. It is a 100% gluten-free and nut-free facility, and we will NEVER bake anything that contains those allergens. All of our products and ingredients are fully researched, both at the retail and supplier level. Our employees and bakers are trained in what gluten is and are prohibited from bringing gluten into our bakery. Even their meals are consumed off site. We have a strict cleaning schedule and work very hard to keep track of any changes in suppliers that come along. We are currently working with a 3rd party gluten-free certification company to certify our facility.

4. Do you have any stories of customers who reported back to you how important your products have been in their life?
All though we have had countless grateful compliments, one in particular will forever be in my heart. I was speaking to a customer who asked if I paid myself a wage for all the hard work do. I answered by saying “I do not take a salary.” Just then another customer spoke up whom was listening. She said to the first customer “Look at my happy smiling face. This is her payment!" She then continued to inform the first customer that “Vonda and her bakery is helping hundreds of people in the area, with and without allergies, making all of us happy to enjoy baked goods again." I will never forget that day. It is why I do what I do.



Where the business got it's name- Heavenly Cakeballs!
Photo Credit: Margaret Clegg

5. What would you like consumers to know about your products and your business?
We love to be a place that anyone can come and enjoy great baked goods. It makes me proud to be a place that brings joy to the community and serves the needs of its citizens. As my husband and I are both veterans, we place a high priority on serving our fellow neighbor. As such, we offer a 10% military discount to those whom have also served our country. 
We also feel that this business is part of God'a call on our life. Therefore we also give 10%  of all proceeds to the Oxford United Methodist Church, our local congregation. In my time of need they have always been there for me and my family. We hope when you're in the neighborhood, you’ll have time to stop by and visit the church. I know these wonderful people will treat you feel like family, as they have done for us.

Heavenly Cakeballs
3522 S. Lapeer Rd 
Metamora MI 48455
Open Tuesday thru Friday 10 am 5pm, Saturdays 9am -4 pm (Closed Sunday and Monday)
(248) 431-0740

Website / Facebook / Instagram

Heavenly Cakeballs is a full service bakery. In addition to cakeballs and cupcakes, they also offer cookies, pies, cheesecake, donuts, breads, and biscuits! They also do custom cakes for birthdays, weddings, graduations and can be booked for custom catering events as well. 

Heavenly Cakeballs is one of many great, dedicated gluten-free bakeries across the state of Michigan. Make sure to follow along with my #MichigansBestGF Bakery Search and learn about the over 20 gluten-free bakers in Michigan. Click this link for a comprehensive list of all the bakers, as well as an interactive map! Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Periscope for pictures and live videos too! 

Labels: