Terrific Toasted Tofu - Meatless Monday

I like tofu. I'm not a vegetarian, but it's a great inexpensive source of protein. 

I find this to be odd, because I despised it when I was in college. My college roommate was a vegetarian and was always trying to get us to eat it. And other interesting dishes. I distinctly remember something called the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I don't remember the dishes being all that magical. But I digress.

My favorite way to eat it is in a stir-fry, after it has been baked in the oven. I've found a way to make the outside crunchy while keeping the inside flexible. It pairs beautifully with Asian sauces and the tofu doesn't get soggy in the dish. Even with leftovers.

My secret?
Southern Homestyle Gluten Free Corn Flake Crumbs


I.M. Healthy Corn Flake Crumbs. Or their Tortilla Crumbs. They're both favorites. :)

Here's how you do it. If you've never tried tofu before, it's packaged in a small container in water. (I buy the Simple Truth Organic Extra Firm Tofu at my local Kroger. It's less than $2 for a 14 oz package.) To use it, you have to squeeze the extra water out. I usually place the tofu between two cookie sheets and stack plates on top. (Someday I might get fancy and but an EZ Tofo Press like my friend Cindy Gordon uses.) I usually place a few paper towels underneath to sop up the water too.

Once the water has been squeezed out, I slice the tofu in half, hamburger wise. (If you're an elementary school teacher, you'll totally understand this reference.) I then cube the tofu, usually into 16 pieces. so when you're done with both halves you should have 32 tofu cubes.

Southern Homestyle Gluten Free Corn Flake Crumbs coating on Tofu

I lightly coat the cubes with oil and then toss them in a mixture of I.M. Healthy Corn Flake crumbs and Parmesan cheese. I use a 1 to 1 ration, and find 3 tbsp of each is enough for a 14 oz block of tofu. (You could also do just corn flake crumbs if you're a dairy-free eater.) After the pieces are coated, place them on a cookie sheet and bake them in a heated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Southern Homestyle Gluten Free Corn Flake Crumbs Stir Fry

When they're done, add them to your favorite dish. I like gluten-free Teriyaki with lots of sauteed vegetables and pineapple if I have it around. You could even leave this in long sticks and use them as a vegetarian substitute for chicken fingers. Use your imagination!

** I was given the corn flake & tortilla crumbs to review. My opinions and my recipe are my own.**

Labels: