So in love with socca!

I have a new favorite flat bread, and it's healthy and easy to make! It's called socca and it's made with chickpea flour. You can find it rather inexpensively at a local Indian or Middle Eastern Market, although ti's often called Besan. The most Celiac-safe pre-ground chickpea flour, in my opinion, is Bob's Red Mill. Of course, you can always grind your own from dried chickpeas.

Chickpea flour is used to make socca

I first found out about socca in a book that I bought, "101 Gluten Free Foods." Ever since then, I had been wanting to try it. When my mother in law requested paella for her birthday celebration, I thought it would be a great time to try it. We served it with some Rosey Goat cheese made in Spain and some Dutch Baby Swiss that we purchased from our local Farmer's Market. It was tasty. 
    This is traditionally found in Nice in the south of France. My husband is going there this summer and I will be eager to hear how it compares. He likes it so much he told me that I have to make it for him at least once a week! Today I made him a wrap using the socca with roasted chicken, spinach, tomatoes, and some Spanish manzanilla olives...and a drizzle of homemade balsamic dressing. I forgot to put some of the goat cheese on as I had intended. 
   I could tell you how to make it, but David Lebovitz has done it so beautifully that I will just direct you to his blog. I will give you some highlights though. You mix equal parts chickpea flour and water (if done with a measuring cup) and you let it sit for .5 to 2 hours.

Socca flatbread used as a pizza crust
Finished socca makes for a quick, easy and healthy pizza crust as well! 
 Then you pour the batter into an iron skillet that you've had warming under the broiler for 5 minutes. Pop it back under the broiler for 3 minutes, and you're done! As pictured above, it can be used as a great and healthy crust for pizza. The options are endless! 

Labels: