Gluten Free Beef Stroganoff with Quinoa Pasta

One of the suggestions we often give to our Curves Complete members is to keep trying new recipes. It keeps us from experiencing burnout from eating the same things over and over again. I had noticed the beef stroganoff recipe a while ago, and had been eager to try it, but I don't often keep condensed cream soups in the house. Most regular condensed soups contain wheat, but I found a box of Pacific Cream of Mushroom soup at Target on a major markdown, so I snatched it up. 

That was in July, and it has been waiting in my cupboard for a chance to use it. I had this recipe in mind when I was at Trader Joe's this past Saturday, and noticed their new Organic Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli. At $2.99 for a 1 lb. bag, I thought that was a great deal and bought it, knowing it would make for some scrumptious stroganoff. 

First of all, I don't know how some of my fellow bloggers do it. Their pictures are immaculate and organized, not at all like the chaos that occurs in my small kitchen. I try my best to use some white plates I have from Christmas, and I try to find a non-cluttered space in my kitchen to take good pictures. But sometimes, the easiest pictures for me to take are on the fly with my just-drained pot of pasta still resting on the edge of my sink. So Martha Stewart I'm not, but at least I try. :) 


Below is a picture of the finished dish, with a side of Italian green beans. My husband said I could make the dish again, and mentioned multiple times during the cooking process that it smelled wonderful. 


Now, I have to be honest that I "tweeked" the recipe a bit. I started by cooking some diced red onions and fresh mushrooms in butter. I used Cream of Mushroom instead of Cream of Chicken, because it's what I had on hand. I also used plain yogurt instead of the sour cream. (We never have sour cream in the house and ALWAYS make this substitution, because we are yogurt fiends!) I also left out the flour and water, because the mixture was plenty thick. Final substitution- I used ground beef instead of sirloin steak. 

Beef Stroganoff- Serves 2 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup(s) egg noodles (dry)
2 tsp(s) flour
2 tbsp(s) water
4 tbsp(s) cream - sour (light)
1/2 cup(s) soup - cream of chicken (reduced sodium)
1/2 onion(s) - medium
1.5 oz mushrooms
garlic powder
pepper - black (ground)
2 sirloin - steak (1 steak is 4 oz)
2 cup(s) beans - green (fresh)

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain egg noodles. 
2. Dissolve flour in water. Stir in sour cream and cream of chicken soup. 
3. Warm a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add onions, mushrooms, garlic powder and pepper to taste. When the onions soften, add sliced sirloin and cook until just browned. Pour the soup mixture over the steak and vegetables, and cook until hot and bubbly. 
3. Place a steamer insert in a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring water to a boil. Place green beans in steamer insert and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes or until tender. 
4. Serve mixture over egg noodles with steamed green beans on the side. 
5. Tips:
1/4 cup dry egg noodles = 1/2 cup cooked egg noodles
3/4 oz = 1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 whole = 1/4 cup chopped onions


Other pasta- related posts
Sweet Potato Gnocchi 
Italia Gardens while on vacation 
Tru Roots pasta (giveaway closed)
Pad Thai

Labels: