August 2014 Love It Like It Leave It

It's officially September. Labor Day has come and gone, school is back in session, and the weather is getting cooler. As I sit down after a nice walk, I have time to write about what new things I tried last month.

Love It

Frankly Fresh Vegetarian Stuffed Grape Leaves - During our anniversary trip in Grand Rapids, I went to Costco for the first time. And it was everything that I dreamed it would be. I've been seeing posts from other friends for quite sometime now, with visions of huge loaves of Udi's bread and other gluten free finds. It was finally my turn to seek and conquer!

On this visit we found some of the most delicious grape leaves. I really like the grape leaves at my local middle eastern store, but they are definitely appetizer size. But the grape leaves at Costco are a major meal. At 60 calories per serving, they leave you feeling full without weighing you down. A 2 lb box only cost us $10, and we had them for lunch many days during that weekend. I wish I had some right now.


Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips- I have some blogger friends that have been talking about their love of these chocolate chips for some time. If you are unfamiliar with Enjoy Life Foods, they are free from 8 of the most common allergens. So, this means this chocolate chips are dairy free. I found a package on sale while I was on vacation, so I was excited to give them a try.
And now I know why people eat them by the handful! They are really good and they are PERFECT for making chocolate chip pancakes.They were also great in the chocolate chip cranberry cookie bars!
I've been told that if I like these that I really need to try the dark chocolate chunks. Those might have to be on my next shopping list.

Like It

Aldi's Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix - The new line of Aldi's gluten free products has been all the buzz lately. I've tried some of their products which I recently reviewed. This is the first time that I've tried the cookies. They were pretty good, and they went quickly at our church picnic. I don't think people even knew that they were gluten free!

Jimmy Dean's Delights Chicken Sausage- If living gluten free isn't enough of a challenge, our household is also pork free and shellfish free due to my husband's allergies. I was pleased to find this sausage as the store, especially when I had coupons for $1.25 off a package.
In general, we don't usually buy packaged meat like this, but every once in a while it's worth a try. I was really pleasantly surprised. The taste was wonderful without being weighed down by a lot of calories. One of the things I liked is that the sausages (links or patties) are packaged in smaller portions, so you can only take out what you need. Thumbs up!

Leave It
Plocky's Hummus Chips - I love to try new and interesting things. Enter Plocky's Hummus Chips.
We found these at a small local store while on vacation and thought they would go great with our grape leaves and the zukeanoush that we brought with us.
The only problem is, they didn't have much flavor.
I think I'll stick with my Mediterranean Foods crackers and lentil chips.


So what new things have you tried this recently that you think are worth sharing with the world? Please leave me a comment as I LOVE to hear about new products! 

Labels: